Fun Germ Facts for Your Day:
- Germs do not stick where people believe they will.
- Doorknobs are usually on the low side as far as bacteria because they are not usually moist. "Never fear a doorknob."
- The average desk harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat
- Short-cycle, cold-water laundry washing leaves viruses and bacteria largely intact.
- There is a 10th of a gram of feces in the average pair of underwear, which then swishes around to get on all the clothes washed with them.
- Viruses such as hepatitis A, rotavirus and bacteria such as Salmonella -- all of which cause stomach upsets and diarrhea -- can easily survive the average 28-minute drying cycle
Wash your hands before and after laundry and meal prep. Touch the doorknob. Sit on the toilet seat. And for goodness sake, clean your desk!